A Travellerspoint blog

Thursday 7/7/2011 - Trek Day 2

Weather: Sunny Place: Goodwater Camp to Ioribaiwa Village - 7 hours

sunny 30 °C

We woke at 5.00am. It was still dark. It gets light about 6.00am. Packed up camp and had breakfast; weetbix & cornflakes. The John's gave us a little briefing about today's trek. Did some stretches as a group and started walking at 6:45am. Every now and then one of the porters would yell out Aussie-Aussie-Aussie and we would reply Oi-Oi-Oi, then the porters would do their war cry. Kept going steadily uphill. Very muddy and the track was mostly clay but the forest was beautiful. Climbed up Imita Ridge. Very steep and muddy. Finally made it to the top - great views toward Ioribaiwa Ridge and Owers Corner!! Walked the down part, very hard going. Got to the bottom and had morning tea: chocolate biscuits, peanut cookies and peanuts - filled our water bladders. Kept walking until we had to take off our shoes and put on our sandals. We then followed Ua-Ule Creek (pronounced far-ley) which we crossed so many times that I lost count. We criss-crossed it for 1.5 hours. A few people fell over but surprisingly I didn't. Stopped at Dump 44 for lunch - there were a few huts. While lunch was being prepared Dad and I went for a swim in our clothes in Ua-Ule Creek. Very refreshing and saw big bright blue butterflies!! Went back to camp and had lunch: 2-minute noodles, tuna, Big Red spaghetti, crackers, cheese, Spam, peanut butter and jam.

Kept walking up the steep Ioribaiwa Ridge for about another hour. Finally arriving at Ioribaiwa Village where we were staying the night (this is the new village as the old one was on top of the ridge and destroyed during the war). Set up camp in the boiling sun. Whilst laying out our bedding in the tent I think I was sweating more than when I was walking! Rested in a 'climbing' tree and then had a shower. The first shower so far on the track. We spent the afternoon resting, talking and being entertained by the boys (porters) who played footy, it was very funny although they were very good at it. Lots of chickens and chicks roaming around as well as 2 dogs which I named Patch and Trevor.

Played cards with Tom again, this time I won 2 to 1. We are having a competition to see who will be the best by the end of the trek. The porters cooked us dinner - pasta and curry sauce. Dad and I went bush when it got dark to see if we could find any fire flies. They were so cool. Dad caught one and we brought it back to camp to show everyone else. Sat around and talked some more. Tom, Chris and I played cards. They showed me how to play Chinese Rum and Seven's and I showed Chris how to play Kings Corner.

There is a boy in our group who is only 6 years old. His dad is a porter and it was his first time walking the track. His name is Stallen.

Dad's Comments

  • I went a little way into the jungle after dinner to see what it was like in the dark. I have read so many times about the fear and claustrophobia the dark brought on. Lying there for 15 minutes quickly made me aware of what they meant. Every little noise is amplified and it is so dark you can see no more than a foot infront of you! Knowing that Japanese soldiers were out their hell bent on sneaking up slitting your throat must have been terrifying!

Posted by avoca 17:00 Archived in Papua New Guinea

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint