- The reason that the natives' lips are usually bright red is because they chew Betle Nut, which is a type of mild drug. It is the seed of a palm tree called Areca Palm.
- Out of all the horses used on the track for carrying supplies during the war, only one one was killed and its name was 'Lucky'
- The villagers have very small and skinny dogs that ofter look like dingoes. They teach them to help the hunters hunt wild pig.
- Animals - Tree Kangaroos, Cus-Cus, Cassowary's, Wild Pig and Birds of Paradise. Really see on track now because of the number of people.
- Avocados are called 'Butter Fruit'
- Mountain Bread Recipe (or Brigade Hill Bread as this is where the porter's made it for us - very yummy eaten with honey)
1/2kg SR Flour
1/2kg Plain Flour
2 eggs, fresh (carried very carefully by your porter!)
250gm Milk Powder
250ml Warm Water, or as required
Make a fire pit and oil pot. Mix ingredients to make a dough. Bake in fire pit with coals on lid for 30 minutes or until dough comes away from the side of pot.
- 'Long Drop' is a toilet. Well actually just a hole in the ground inside a bush hut, with or without a door. Seats are optional extras as is hygiene!!!