A Travellerspoint blog

Monday 18/7/2011

Weather: Sunny, Overcast Place: The Islands

sunny 28 °C

Woke at 7.20am. Had breakfast, cereal and fruit. Packed my pack and waited to get picked up by Patty's Tours. We were planning to tour the islands by boat. They were meant to pick up at 9am but it ended up being 10am as their minibus had broken down. Charles (one of the other Australian guests at the lodge) joined us for the tour. Finally Greta drove us to a resort called Driftwood where we were meeting the boat. There was only Charles, Dad, the boat driver, crewman and I. I sat on the edge of the gunwale the whole time because I got the spray. It was quiet hot.

After about 2 hours we came to Samarai Island (the boats engine played up a few times on the way out). Had some sandwiches on the boat and then went for a walk around the island. It was a ghost town! Saw an old hospital. The people had left without taking anything, even the medicine. Walked around the wharves which were all falling down and saw an old church. Most of the people left on the island work for a pearl company run by an Australian. Samarai Island was the old provincial capital for Milne Bay but it was moved to Alotau in 1976. Since then it has fallen into disrepair.

Got back on the boat and went out to Gonbaribari Island where were supposed to snorkle with Manta Rays. The tide was not right and they were not there which was a bit of a pity. Maybe if we had left on time and not had engine problem we would have been there at the right time! Next went to Dabi Dabi Island. A beautiful deserted' little island with white sandy beaches and crystal clear water. Went snorkling for about an hour. Saw lots of fish and a lobster. Beautiful coral. The had some more sandwiches and explored parts of the island. Found a giant Clam shell. Got back into the boat and drove home. I got drenched by the waves on the way back. Started raining again just as we reached Driftwood Resort. Had a nice hot shower and then had dinner, rice and chicken stir-fry. Played cards with Dad and chatted to the Americans.

Posted by avoca 17:00 Archived in Papua New Guinea

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint