A Travellerspoint blog

Saturday 16/7/2011

Weather: Sunny, Rainy Place: Port Morseby to Milne Bay

rain 26 °C

Woke 5.30am. Packed and went down for buffet breakfast. Went back to our room and got our things. Checked out and piled into a minibus just to be told that our plane had been delayed 2.5 hours. So out we went and back to our room. Rested and listened to music. At 8.45am we went back down and finally made it to the airport. Again had trouble checking in but finally did. HATE airports and planes!!! Waited another hour and then boarded. Second time lucky... hopefully!!

Met an old guy who was on our flight yesterday. Dad and him swapped seats so Dad could next to me. Had a 45 minute flight and finally landed at Milne Bay. Waited ages before our bags came. We got Dad's pack but could not find our other pack. Then we were told that it was still at Port Moresby but it would be put on the next flight tomorrow at 10.30am. They couldn't load all the baggage on the plane because it was to heavy. So we had lost all our clothes and toiletries. Had to catch another hotels mini-bus for our hotel's one was not there. Finally arrived at Naptana Lodge. Very pretty hotel.

Checked in then went to our room. Small but cosy. Had lunch, burger with the lot. Made friends with a kitten and a thong-eating Cockatoo. The hotel had lots of animals: 4 Green Tree Pythons; 4 Cuscus; 4 Wallabies; a Kitten; a Hornbill; and 2 Cockatoo's. Spent afternoon resting as it was raining. Dad spoke to Greta (she owns the hotel) on the phone and she invited us to a party that night.

Met 2 American bird watchers (Ornithologists), Jenny and Jordan. They were also staying at the lodge. Talked to them and then went to the party. Greta had invited them as well. It was a farewell party for 2 Australian AusAid volunteers who had been in PNG for 1 year working at the local school. Had dinner there, sausages, chicken wings, salad and bread. Stayed for a while talking and then went back to the lodge at 11.00pm. Road back was very bumpy and lots of pot holes. Saw the Cuscus walking around. Very amazing creatures!!

Party was put on by a Greek Cypriot ex-pat who owned the Nawae Construction company in Alotau, Milne Bay. His name was Julius and he had been in PNG for 46 years, his family emigrating here because of the conflict in Cyprus.

Posted by avoca 17:00 Archived in Papua New Guinea

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint