A Travellerspoint blog

Thursday 14/7/2011 - Trek Day 9

Weather: Sunny Place: Kokoda to Port Moresby

sunny 30 °C

Woke 5.55am. Packed up. Had breakfast, usual cereal. Finished packing. Very cloudy and misty. Walked about 2km to the airfield and waited at Orohaven Kokoda Retreat until planes arrived. We were supposed to stay there last night but there had been a large brawl earlier in the week so we did not. I shared a very small burger and a drink with Dad.

Thomas (Paul's porter) had carved a stick for me. It was amazing and beautiful. Walked the last km to the airstrip - just grass and an open shed. Waited a little while till 2 small Cessna propeller planes landed - carried 9 passengers each. Dad and I were in the second plane with Andrew, Kevin, Tom, Bernadette, Chris and Ian. I was very excited!! Said goodbye to the porters, it was sad to leave them as we had so many good memories.

Flew over Kokoda and then followed the track by air. It took us only 30 minutes to fly back! It was interesting to see the villages, ridges and creeks from the air. We arrived back at Port Moresby without incident. Bernadette who hated heights and flying had looked at her feet the whole way. We were met at the terminal by the three porters who had left us at 'Propeller' Junction 3 days ago. It had taken us 6 days to get there!!

Drove to the Gateway Hotel and checked back into our rooms. Sorted out our laundry and boots. Dad and I then went and fell in the pool - it was so nice!!! Spent the afternoon by the pool and was joined by some of the others. John had organised a tour of Port Moresby so those of us who were going piled into a minibus. Went to a market and wandered around, buying an anklet for myself and 2 tops for Mum and Jemma. Piled back into the minibus and drove through Ela Beach to a war museum. Very interesting. Lots of planes, tanks, bombs, jeeps, guns and other things. We then drove back to the hotel. Spent the rest of the afternoon by the pool, playing on Dad's phone and listening to music.

Went down for dinner at 6.30pm. The others were already there. We talked and then John presented us with a certificate which had our name on it. John said something special to each of us. Had a buffet dinner and talked some more. Said good night and good-bye to the others for we weren't seeing them again. I was very sad!!!

Posted by avoca 17:00 Archived in Papua New Guinea

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint